Doi Suthep Temple at Night & Wat UMong
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- Additional Informations
Discover some of Chiang Mai’s fascinating cultural sights. Bask in the splendor and beauty of two famous temples in Chiang Mai. Learn about Thai culture, Buddhism and the history of the Lanna Dynasty. Capture amazing photos during the ‘golden hours’ as the sun sets over the mountains. Take in the peaceful evening atmosphere of the temples, and avoid the heat and crowds.
Enjoy the flexibility and intimacy of a private tour and gain rich experience from a local guide.
- 03:00 PM : Pick up from the hotel
- 03:30 PM : Discover Wat UMong, a hidden forest temple, and explore underground tunnels
- 05:30 PM : Catch panoramic night views of Chiang Mai city from Doi Suthep mountain
- Watch a traditional monk ceremony at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- Capture sunset light and experience fewer crowds during the evening.
- 08:00 PM : Drop you off at the hotel
Our first visit is Wat UMong Chiang Mai, a 13th Century forest temple surrounded by trees and fauna. Upon arriving, explore the underground tunnels where monks once meditated in total silence. Inside you will see hand-painted murals and ancient shrines where devotees go to pray.
Walk around the temple’s woodland to find old ruins and a large stupa. It is said that the trees in this forest have words of wisdom as people walk by. Nearby is a pond where you can feed the catfish, which Buddhists believe will bring good luck and fortune! It is also an important Buddhist ritual to gain merit.
Follow the path towards a large lake. Along the way, you will see old Buddhist proverbs from the trees offering Buddhist wisdom. Experience the monastery where you can see monks doing daily chores or chanting. On certain days, join Monk Chat to discover the unique life of a monk.
The ‘tunnel temple’ is a popular, international centre for meditation retreats and Buddhist teachings. It is advisable to take a tour to Wat Umong as it is hidden away in a secluded forest and is easily missed. We give you ample time to walk around and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of life in a temple.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
The next stop is Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, situated near the summit of Doi Suthep mountain. Leading to the temple there is a 306 – step stairway, decorated with seven-headed naga serpents.
Buddhists believe that climbing the steps towards the ‘heavens’ accumulates merit. Lifts are available for those who prefer. At the top, you will see spectacular panoramic views of Chiang Mai city glistening by night. Capture the special light as the sun goes down that emits a beautiful golden glow over the temples.
Around the temples are ornate golden statues and holy shrines. Inside the temples, you will see the amazing hand-painted stories of the Buddha. Enjoy a sacred, traditional monk ceremony at the Golden Pagoda. Doi Suthep’s first beginnings were in 1383, ordered by King Nu Naone. Legend has it, the temple was built because of a magical relic of the Buddha, contained in the temple.
Learn about these wonderful legends from your local guide to make your night a memorable one.
Know before you go
- Visitors are required to cover up at the temple. Please wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants or a sarong.
- As sunset time varies across season, please note that sunset is not guaranteed on this tour.
- Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather, traffic, and other tour groups.
- At least 2 participants are required for this activity.
This Tour Includes
- Private English speaking local guide
- Private transportation via minibus with air-con and a driver
- Drinking water
- Provide post-tour transportation to your hotel or guesthouse
- All entrance fees, sites and activities as mentioned
- Travel Accident insurance
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses.
Learn more about our cancellation policy.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.