Doi Suthep Temple Tour at Night & Wat UMong Temple
- Location: Chiang Mai Province
- Highlights: Doi Suthep Temple, Wat UMong,
- Free pick-up/drop-off within 3 km of the city center.
- English-speaking local tour guide.
- Private Tour
- • Per Person : ฿500
Explore some of the fascinating cultural sights of Chiang Mai. Enjoy the splendor and beauty of two famous temples in Chiang Mai. Learn about Thai culture, Buddhism and the history of the Lanna Dynasty. Take great photos during the ‘golden hours’ when the sun sets over the mountains. Enjoy the peaceful evening atmosphere in the temples and avoid the heat and crowds.
Enjoy the flexibility and intimacy of a private tour and gain rich experience from a local tour guide.
- 3 PM : Meet in your hotel lobby
- 3:30 PM : Discover Wat UMong, a hidden forest temple, and explore underground tunnels
- 5:30 PM : Catch panoramic night views of Chiang Mai city from Doi Suthep mountain
- Watch a traditional monk ceremony at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- Capture sunset light and experience fewer crowds during the evening.
- 8 PM : Return to your accommodation
- Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
- At least 2 participants are required for this activity.
Embark on a journey to Wat Umong Chiang Mai, a 13th century forest temple surrounded by lush trees and diverse wildlife. Upon arrival, delve into the ancient underground tunnels where monks once meditated in absolute tranquility. Admire the exquisite hand-painted murals and the timeless shrines where the faithful perform their prayers.
Walk through the temple’s enchanting forest, where you can discover historic ruins and a majestic stupa. As you walk, listen for the whispers of wisdom emanating from the trees. Nearby, you can visit a tranquil pond where you can feed the catfish – an act that, according to Buddhist beliefs, brings good luck and can be used to earn spiritual merit.
Walk along the path that leads to a tranquil lake lined with trees inscribed with ancient Buddhist proverbs that impart valuable wisdom. Observe the daily life of the monastery and watch the monks perform their duties or chant sacred mantras. On certain days, you can participate in a monk chat to get a glimpse into the special lives of these spiritual practitioners.
The “Tunnel Temple” is a world-renowned center for meditation retreats and Buddhist teachings. To fully enjoy the hidden gem that is Wat Umong, it’s recommended that you join a guided tour, as its secluded location in the remote forest can be easily overlooked. We’ll leave you plenty of time to explore this extraordinary temple at your leisure and soak up its atmosphere.
Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
The next stop is Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, located near the summit of Doi Suthep Mountain. A 306-step staircase decorated with seven-headed Naga snakes leads to the temple.
Buddhists believe that climbing the steps towards the ‘heavens’ accumulates merit. For those who prefer, there are elevators. At the top, you’ll have a spectacular panoramic view of Chiang Mai city glittering at night. Catch the special light as the sun sets, bathing the temples in a beautiful golden glow.
Around the temples are ornate golden statues and sacred shrines. Inside the temples you’ll see the amazing hand-painted stories of the Buddha. Enjoy a sacred traditional monk ceremony at the Golden Pagoda. The beginnings of Doi Suthep date back to 1383 and were ordered by King Nu Naone. Legend has it that the temple was built because of a magical relic of the Buddha that was in the temple.
Learn more about these wonderful legends from your local tour guide to make your evening an unforgettable experience.
Know before you go
- Visitors must cover up in the temple. Please wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants or a sarong.
- Since the time of sunset varies depending on the season, sunset isn’t guaranteed on this tour.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 6 kilometers of the city center
Transportation in air-conditioned minibus with driver
- English speaking tour guide
- Drinking water
- All entrance fees, sightseeing and activities as indicated
- Travel accident insurance
Learn more about our cancellation policy.
If you’re looking for even more private tours in Chiang Mai, don’t miss our other private tour options.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.