2 Day Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary & Trekking
- Location: Mae Wang, Chiang Mai Province
- Highlights: Learn about elephants and sanctuary, Meet and feed elephants, Mud spa, Swim with elephants, Trekking, Bamboo rafting, Waterfall, Shan village, Karen Hill Tribe's special herbal medicine and homestay
- Free pick-up/drop-off within 3 km of the city center.
- English-speaking local tour guide.
- Small Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
- • Adults : ฿1,000
- • Child (age 5-8) : ฿800
- • Infant (age 0-4) : ฿0
Spend an unforgettable two-day trip playing with elephants and trekking through the jungle. The elephants that you’ll meet were rescued from the hard labors of logging and riding camps but are now living peacefully together in the forest. Experience the once-in-a-lifetime joy of feeding, bathing, scrubbing, and swimming with them – but without riding them!
Day 1 (Lunch and dinner will be provided)
- 8:30 AM to 9 AM : Meet in your hotel lobby
- 9 :30 AM : Stop at the local market to buy foods and supplies for the elephants and the guests
- 10:30 AM : Arrive at the elephant camp and change into the provided uniform
- 10:45 AM : Learn the history of the elephants and the sanctuary
- 11 AM : Meet the elephants in their forest home and escort them back to the sanctuary
- 11:30 AM : Feed the elephants by hand and pet them
- 12 PM : Learn how to make the Karen Hill Tribe’s special herbal medicine for the elephants
- 1 PM : Eat a traditional Thai lunch
- 2 PM : Give the elephants a mud spa and then take them for a walk
- 2:30 PM : Let the elephants roam and eat natural grass and leaves in the forest
- 3 PM : Bathe and swim with the elephants
- 3:30 PM : Walk to a nearby waterfall and relax
- 4:30 PM : Have dinner at the Karen Hill Tribe homestay and stay there overnight
Day 2 (Breakfast and lunch will be provided)
- 8:30 AM : Eat breakfast
- 9 AM : Walk to the sanctuary to visit the elephants and spend time feeding and looking after them
- 10:30 AM : Walk to a waterfall and relax
- 11 AM : Trek along a nature trail (about 2 hours)
- 1 PM : Eat lunch
- 2 PM : Float down the Mae Wang River on a bamboo raft
- 3:15 PM : Change into dry clothes
- 3:30 PM : Sit back and relax on your ride back to Chiang Mai
- 4:30 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: You will spend as much time as possible with the elephants depending on the weather and traffic. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary.
About the 2 Day Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary & Trekking Tour
This two-day tour will take you into the heart of the jungle to the home of the elephants. It begins with a scenic drive through the Thai countryside and then you will meet your English-speaking guide, a member of the local Karen Hill Tribe.
Learn about the history of the elephants at the sanctuary and then meet the gentle giants, one by one, and feed them their favorite treats. Your guide will also teach you how to make a special herbal medicine for the elephants when they get sick.
After a satisfying Thai lunch, spend the rest of the afternoon with the elephants walking along nature trails, giving them a mud spa, and playfully bathing with them in the nearby river. Your first day will end with a visit to a nearby waterfall followed by dinner at a Karen Hill Tribe homestay, which is where you will sleep for the night.
The next morning, after eating breakfast, say goodbye to the elephants and continue trekking to a waterfall. Enjoy lunch and relax at a local village and then take an afternoon ride down the river on a traditional Thai bamboo raft. Change into dry clothes before your driver takes you back to Chiang Mai.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via pickup truck with driver
- Local English-speaking tour guide
- Four meals
- Snacks and drinking water
- Bananas for the elephants
- Basic sleeping accommodations
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes and a pair of sandals or flip flops
- A bathing suit and towel
- Two extra changes of clothing (t-shirts, shorts, socks, underwear)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- A flashlight
- Personal first-aid kit (plasters, etc)
- Personal toiletries including toilet paper or tissues
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Cash in small change for drinks, snacks and souvenirs
- Camera (Optional)
- During the cool season (November to January) the nights can be quite cool. Pack a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and socks to sleep in.
- During the rainy season (June, July, and August) pack a light raincoat.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
To avoid the crowds of local tourists, this summer, we’ll start bamboo rafting in the morning.
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.