2 Day Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary & Trekking
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
Spend an unforgettable two-day trip playing with elephants and trekking through the jungle. The elephants that you’ll meet were rescued from the hard labors of logging and riding camps but are now living peacefully together in the forest. Experience the once-in-a-lifetime joy of feeding, bathing, scrubbing, and swimming with them – but without riding them!
Pickup will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City and Night Bazaar area. Pickup will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 km outside of the Old City.
Day 1 (Lunch and dinner will be provided)
- 9 AM
- Stop at the local market to buy foods and supplies for the elephants and the guests
- 10 AM
- Arrive at the elephant camp and change into the provided uniform
- 10:15 AM
- Learn the history of the elephants and the sanctuary
- 11 AM
- Meet the elephants in their forest home and escort them back to the sanctuary
- 11:30 AM
- Feed the elephants by hand and pet them
- 12 PM
- Learn how to make the Karen Hill Tribe’s special herbal medicine for the elephants
- 1 PM
- Eat a traditional Thai lunch
- 2 PM
- Give the elephants a mud spa and then take them for a walk
- 2:30 PM
- Let the elephants roam and eat natural grass and leaves in the forest
- 3 PM
- Bathe and swim with the elephants
- 3:30 PM
- Walk to a nearby waterfall and relax
- 4:30 PM
- Have dinner at the Karen Hill Tribe homestay and stay there overnight
Day 2 (Breakfast and lunch will be provided)
- 8:30 AM
- Eat breakfast
- 9 AM
- Walk to the sanctuary to visit the elephants and spend time feeding and looking after them
- 10:30 AM
- Walk to a waterfall and relax
- 11 AM
- Trek along a nature trail to Shan village (about 2 hours)
- 1 PM
- Eat lunch and relax at a Shan village
- 2 PM
- Float down the Mae Wang River on a bamboo raft
- 3:15 PM
- Change into dry clothes
- 3:30 PM
- Sit back and relax on your ride back to Chiang Mai
- 4:30 PM
- Arrive at your hotel or guesthouse
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time as possible at each event depending on the weather and overall ability of the group. Therefore, there are no set times in the above schedule and only the pickup and drop-off times are final.
About the 2 Day Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary & Trekking Tour
This two-day tour will take you into the heart of the jungle to the home of the elephants. It begins with a scenic drive through the Thai countryside and then you will meet your English-speaking guide, a member of the local Karen Hill Tribe.
Learn about the history of the elephants at the sanctuary and then meet the gentle giants, one by one, and feed them their favorite treats. Your guide will also teach you how to make a special herbal medicine for the elephants when they get sick.
After a satisfying Thai lunch, spend the rest of the afternoon with the elephants walking along nature trails, giving them a mud spa, and playfully bathing with them in the nearby river. Your first day will end with a visit to a nearby waterfall followed by dinner at a Karen Hill Tribe homestay, which is where you will sleep for the night.
The next morning, after eating breakfast, say goodbye to the elephants and continue trekking to a waterfall. Enjoy lunch and relax at a local Shan village and then take an afternoon ride down the river on a traditional Thai bamboo raft. Change into dry clothes before your driver takes you back to Chiang Mai.
This Tour Includes
- Local English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via pickup truck with driver
- Four meals
- Snacks and drinking water
- Bananas for the elephants
- Basic sleeping accommodations
- DVD with photos
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Sandals or comfortable shoes that can get wet
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Swimsuit (worn underneath your clothing) and towel
- Two changes of clothes (shirts, shorts, underwear, socks)
- Camera (Optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 20 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.