1 Day Trek in Mae Wang + Hug Elephant Sanctuary
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- This Tour Excludes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
Experience the beautiful natural landscape and exotic animals in the hills of Mae Wang, Thailand. This tour begins with a half an hour trek to a Pa Ka Yor (Karen) hill tribe village followed by another 30-minute trek down to a local waterfall. Afterward, visit an elephant care center and float down the peaceful Mae Wang River on a bamboo raft.
Pickup will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in Chiang Mai’s Old City and Night Bazaar areas. Pickup will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 kilometers outside of the Old City. This tour is available daily.
- 10 AM
- Hike through the mountains to a Karen hill tribe village (roughly 30 minutes)
- 10:30 AM
- Walk to a local waterfall and take a refreshing dip (approximately 30 minutes)
- 11:30 AM
- Arrive at the elephant camp and feed and play with them in their natural jungle home
- 12 PM
- Bathe the elephants and give them a mud spa
- 1 PM
- Enjoy a lunch of tasty Thai food and fresh fruit
- 2 PM
- Go on a relaxing bamboo raft ride down the Mae Wang River (about 1 hour)
- 3 PM
- Change into dry clothes
- 3:30 PM
- Depart from Mae Wang
- 5 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time as possible at each event depending on the traffic, weather, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pickup and drop-off times are final.
About the 1 Day Trek in Mae Wang – Elephant Mud Spa and Bath
Begin your tour with a scenic drive through the countryside of Northern Thailand. During the months between August and January, the rice fields and forests are lush and green. If you visit between February and May, the weather is dry and the surrounding landscape is golden.
This one-day trekking tour will begin with a 30-minute hike through the green jungle to a Pa Ka Yor (Karen) hill tribe village. There you will see a unique community in which the tribe women are renowned for their weaving and embroidering abilities.
Afterward, take another easygoing 30-minute walk to a waterfall deep in the jungle. You can sit on the nearby rocks and admire the falls. If you’re adventurous, you can swim in the natural plunge pool, which can be done all year round.
The tour continues with an exciting visit to the elephant camp. Feed these gentle giants their favorite snacks before walking with them down to a small river, washing them in the cool water, and giving them a mud bath.
After saying goodbye to the elephants, eat a satisfying lunch featuring several classic Thai dishes and fresh tropical fruit. Soda and beer are available for sale to quench your thirst if you prefer either of those over the drinking water provided.
Once you’re recharged and rested, hop on a bamboo raft and float down the Mae Wang River. This activity can be done at any time of the year although the water level varies depending on the recent rainfall. If you would like to skip the bamboo rafting, you can. Instead, chat with your tour guide and learn more about this part of the world.
At the end of the tour, you will have the opportunity to change into dry clothing before taking a ride back to Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
- 1 Person: ฿7,200
- 2 Persons: ฿3,600 per person
- 3 Persons: ฿2,400 per person
- 4 Persons and more: ฿1,800 per person
– We require a 50% deposit to secure the booking, the remaining balance is due the day of the tour.
– If you want to book for tomorrow or have any questions please contact us.
This Tour Includes
- Karen hill tribe guide with basic English speaking skills
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via pickup truck with driver
- Lunch of local Thai food
- Travel accident insurance
This Tour Excludes
- Drinking water
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals
- A bathing suit, towel, and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (Optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This tour is also available as a private tour. Please contact us for our special pricing.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our cancellation policy.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.