Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary – Full Day
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
Deep in the forest of Chiang Mai is a special sanctuary that has rescued elephants from unethical treatment and hard field labor. Spend the day with them and enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to feed, bathe, and swim with elephants in their new home while enjoying the sights and sounds of the Thai jungle.
Pickup will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City and Night Bazaar area. Pickup will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 km outside of the Old City.
- 9 AM
- Stop at the local market to buy food and supplies for the elephants and guests
- 10 AM
- Arrive at the elephant camp and change into the uniform that’s provided
- 10:15 AM
- Learn basic information about the elephants and the history of the sanctuary
- 11 AM
- Meet the elephants in the forest and escort them back to the sanctuary
- 11:30 AM
- Feed the elephants by hand
- 12 PM
- Learn how to make Karen Hill Tribe herbal medicine for the elephants
- 12:30 PM
- Eat a traditional Thai lunch
- 1:30 PM
- Give the elephants a mud spa and take them for a walk
- 2 PM
- Let the elephants roam in the forest and eat natural grass
- 2:30 PM
- Bathe and swim with the elephants
- 3 PM
- Walk to a nearby waterfall
- 3:45 PM
- Walk back to the sanctuary, feed the elephants, and take photos before saying goodbye
- 4:15 PM
- Change into dry clothes
- 4:30 PM
- Leave the elephant camp and return to Chiang Mai
- 5:30 PM
- Arrive at your hotel or guesthouse
Please Note: You will spend as much time as possible with the elephants depending on the weather, traffic, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pickup and drop-off times are final.
About the 1 Day Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary Tour
This full-day tour begins with a peaceful morning drive through the Thai countryside. After you arrive at the elephant sanctuary, you’ll be given a special mahout (elephant trainer) uniform to change into. Your English-speaking guide will greet you and teach you about the history of the elephants at the sanctuary.
Next, you will meet the elephants in their jungle home! Introduce yourself to the elephants and then walk back to the sanctuary together. You will get to feed the elephants their favorite snacks and then learn how to make a special herbal medicine that is used to treat elephants that are sick.
After resting and enjoying a Thai lunch under the shady trees, it’s time for the elephants’ favorite activity of the day – the mud spa. Slather them in cool mud that protects their skin from sunburns and then take them to a grassy field to graze. After they’ve enjoyed their afternoon meal of grass and leaves, scrub the elephants clean in a nearby river and join them for a refreshing swim.
The day wraps up with a walk to a waterfall and then you will have the opportunity to take photos with the elephants. Once you’ve returned to the sanctuary headquarters, you can clean yourself up and change into dry clothes before relaxing on the ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai.
This Tour Includes
- Local English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via pickup truck with driver
- A snack, Thai lunch, and drinking water
- Bananas for the elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Sandals or comfortable shoes that can get wet
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Swimsuit (worn underneath your clothing) and towel
- Change of clothes
- Spending money and medicine for your personal use
- Camera (Optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 20 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.