3 Days/2 Nights Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai – The Golden Triangle
- Location: Chiang Rai Province
- Highlights: Chiang Dao, Mae Salong, Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, White Temple, Thaton Temple, Hill Tribe Market
- English-speaking tour guide
- Private Tour
Northern Thailand is an exciting place to visit – it’s home to living cultural landmarks, like the many hill tribes, along with historical temples, beautiful scenery, and delicious food. When you embark on this three day outing, you’ll drop in to several villages, cruise down the Mekong, and explore the area where Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet. This tour also connects you with the historical Lanna kingdom, the once-booming opium trade, and many more important sights.
Day 1 – Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Mae Salong, Golden Triangle (lunch provided)
We’ll pick you up from your Chiang Mai hotel in the morning and drive to Chiang Dao, where we can drink some local royal project coffee and enjoy a lake view. Grab some delicious fresh fruit at the near by Hmong hill tribe’s market before we get back in the car and drive another two hours to Thaton.
We’ll take another break at Thaton, where there is an amazing view from the temple. Here we can eat lunch near the Kok River before venturing to Doi Mae Salong on the way to Golden Triangle (another 1.5 hours away). Along the way, be sure to look for the tea plantations and Chinese influence on the buildings. Doi Mae Salong was settled by Chinese Nationalists seeking refuge in Thailand more than 60 years ago, and you can certainly see the influence. After this stop, we’ll continue the rest of the way to our overnight stop in the Golden Triangle.
Day 2 – Golden Triangle (lunch provided)
After a local breakfast, we’ll take a half an hour ride to Mae Sai, a busy border town between Thailand and Myanmar. In this area alone you’ll probably see travelers from the surrounding countries of Myanmar, Laos, and Thailand – and of course tourists from across the globe! Next, we venture about 25 minutes to Sop Ruak. In Sop Ruak, you’ll be able to see the place where the three countries converge. Here you’ll also visit the Hall of Opium Musem, an informative museum destination that details the history of the region’s opium trade.
Note: House of Opium is not open on Mondays.
After a delicious Thai lunch, we’ll hop on a private boat to speed along the Mekong River. From the river, you can see the borders of the countries, and even go to Don Sao Island – where we will disembark in Laotian territory! Explore the ancient city of Chiang Sean, visit the historic ruins of Wat Pasak, and take in the culture before we return you to your overnight Chiang Rai accommodations.
Day 3 – Golden Triangle, Chiang Rai, departure
Eat breakfast and check out of your hotel, then head to the city of Chiang Rai to see the popular Wat Rong Khun, or White Temple. This stunning temple was designed by one of Thailand’s most notable artists, Chalermchai Kositpipat, and is covered in mosaics of mirrored glass and white plaster. After the temple visit, we’ll take you to the Chiang Rai airport.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 6 kilometers of the city center
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and driver
Private English-speaking tour guide
- Entrance fees for all standard activities; fees for optional (add-on) tours are not included
- Local Thai lunch (Day 1 to Day 3)
- Drinking water
- Travel accident insurance
- Other expenses such as souvenirs, tipping personnel, and laundry fees
- Other meals and drinks besides those mentioned
- Accommodations – if you want some help arranging your hotel, contact us directly
- Other services not clearly indicated above
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
Learn more about our cancellation policy.
Private Tour Price
|Group Size||Price / Person|