Chiang Rai – White Temple and Golden Triangle
- Location: Chiang Rai Province
- Highlights: Chiang Rai ProvinceWhite Temple, Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, Akha Hill Tribe
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small group tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
This full-day Chiang Rai tour will take you to a region a few hours north of Chiang Mai. Explore the stunning White Temple, visit Thailand’s famous Golden Triangle and its overlook point where two rivers and three countries come together, shop at a bustling border market, and meet local hill tribe villagers.
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 7 AM to 7:15 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 7:20 AM to 7:35 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 9 AM : Arrive at a natural hot spring in Chiang Rai (approx. 20 minutes)
- 11 AM : White Temple (approx. 45 minutes)
- 1 PM : Lunch at a restaurant near the Golden Triangle (approx. 45 minutes)
- 2 PM : Golden Triangle viewpoint at the border of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (approx. 30 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – River boat tour of the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island (approx. 1 hour)
- 4 PM : Mae Sai at the Burmese-Thai border (approx. 40 minutes)
- 5:30 PM : Akha hill tribe village (approx. 40 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – Long Neck Karen hill tribe village (approx. 40 minutes)
- 6:30 PM : Depart from Chiang Rai, stop at a gas station along the way
- 10 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note : For additional information about the optional riverboat tour, read the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
About the Chiang Rai Golden Triangle Tour
You will be picked up early in the morning and taken on a drive through the hills of Northern Thailand toward Chiang Rai. Enjoy coffee and snacks at a local hot spring and then continue on to one of the most recognizable and stunning structures in all of Thailand, the White Temple.
The tours continue to the Golden Triangle of Chiang Rai, an area named for the spot where the Mekong and Krok Rivers join to create a tripoint of the borders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos. This region of Thailand was once known for its infamous opium trade.
Not far away is the most northern point in Thailand. Here is a well known Thailand-Myanmar border crossing that also is home to the bustling Mae Sai market filled with many local handicraft items, perfect for shopping and buying souvenirs.
The tour finished with a visit to an Akha hill tribe village. This tribe is recognizable by their traditional black clothing adorned with bright colored embroidery, silver bells, and coins.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- All entrance fees
- Thai lunch
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (Optional)
- Add-ons to this Golden Triangle and White Temple Chiang Rai Tour are also available for an additional cost. Please speak with your tour guide about arranging a trip for the following activities:
- Boat trip along the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island in Laos (330 baht per person)
- Long Neck Karen hill tribe village (300 baht per person)
- Guests who do not take the one hour boat trip will be able to take pictures and relax or visit the House of Opium near the Golden Triangle for 50 baht per person.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.