Chiang Rai – White Temple and Golden Triangle – Boat Trip
- Location: Chiang Rai Province
- Highlights: White Temple, Wat Chedi Luang, Golden Triangle, Opium House, Boat Trip along Mekong River
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
This full-day tour to Chiang Rai takes you to a region just a few hours north of Chiang Mai. Explore the stunning White Temple, wander the grounds of Wat Chedi Luang in the ancient city of Chiang Saen. Visit Thailand’s famous Golden Triangle on a boat trip where two rivers and three countries meet.
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- – 7 AM to 7:15 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- – 7:20 AM to 7:35 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- Depart for Chiang Rai (approx. 4 hrs.)
- Enjoy a short break 5-10 minutes at Mae Khachan Hot Springs
- Explore the White Temple (Wat Rong Khun)
- Visit Wat Chedi Luang in Chiang Saen Ancient City
- Lunch at Local Restaurant (Authentic Thai Cuisine)
- Visit the Opium House
- Boat Trip along Mekong River
- While returning to Chiang Mai, stop for a coffee break
- 8.30 PM : Return to your accommodation
Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
About the Chiang Rai Golden Triangle Tour
You will be picked up early in the morning and taken on a drive through the hills of Northern Thailand toward Chiang Rai. Enjoy coffee and snacks at a local hot spring and then continue on to one of the most recognizable and stunning structures in all of Thailand, the White Temple.
The tours continue to the Golden Triangle of Chiang Rai, an area named for the spot where the Mekong and Krok Rivers join to create a tripoint of the borders of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos. This region of Thailand was once known for its infamous opium trade.
You will visit Wat Chedi Luang, a temple built in the traditional Chiang Saen style in the historic old town of Chiang Sean. Chiang Saen, a city of ancient times, is one of the oldest cities in the region.
After lunch, visit the House of Opium tells the story of how hill tribes from southern China introduced opium to the Golden Triangle through trade and consumption. Exhibits include tools, scales and maps of the route drug traffickers took from southern China to Thailand. Models of hill tribe people smoking opium in thatched buildings are on display.
The tour ended with a boat ride on the Mekong River to the point where the 3 countries and their 2 rivers meet. The Mekong River is the mother river of Southeast Asia.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- All entrance fees
- Thai lunch
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (Optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.