Chiang Rai – White Temple, Black House, Blue Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
This extended full-day tour takes you to the best sites in Chiang Rai, a neighboring city north of Chiang Mai. Enjoy a scenic drive through the Northern Thai mountains and jungle-covered valleys and visit the area’s most stunning and culturally rich places. Highlights include the famous White Temple (Wat Rong Khun) and the beautiful Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten Temple). Explore the bizarre Black House (Baan Dam), Akha and Long Neck Karen hill tribe villages, and a beautiful overlook point at the infamous Golden Triangle.
Pickup will be between 7 AM and 7:30 AM if your hotel is in Chiang Mai’s Old City or Night Bazaar areas. Pickup will be between 7:30 AM and 7:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 kilometers outside of the Old City. This tour is available daily.
- 9 AM
- Take a short break at a natural hot spring (approximately 20 minutes)
- 11 AM
- Explore the White Temple in Chiang Rai (approximately 45 minutes)
- 12 PM
- Eat lunch at a Thai restaurant (approximately 45 minutes)
- 1:15 PM
- Walk through the many buildings of the Black House compound (approximately 40 minutes)
- 3 PM
- Visit the Golden Triangle viewpoint overlooking the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (approximately 30 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – Take a boat down the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island market (approximately 1 hour)
- 5 PM
- Chat with the Akha and Long Neck hill tribe villagers (approximately 40 minutes)
- 6:15 PM
- Visit the Blue Temple (approximately 30 minutes)
- 6:45 PM
- Depart from Chiang Rai, stop at a gas station along the way
- 10:30 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
For additional information about the optional riverboat tour, read the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time at each event depending on the traffic, weather, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pickup and drop-off times are final.
About the White Temple, Black House, Blue Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle Tour
Your tour begins with an early morning pick up by your English speaking Thai guide. Sit back and relax while you drive through the countryside of Northern Thailand and enjoy a short break at a local sulfur hot spring. Stretch your legs, buy snacks and coffee, and use the restroom before continuing with the tour.
The tour’s first major stop is the breathtakingly beautiful White Temple. It’s one of the most famous structures in Thailand and is recognized for its all-white buildings decorated with small sparkling mirrors. The manicured grounds are home to an all-white koi fish pond, unusual art, stunning sculptures, and the self-proclaimed ‘most beautiful bathrooms in the world’.
After exploring the various buildings and artwork of the White Temple, enjoy lunch at a Thai restaurant and then continue to the Golden Triangle. This infamous overlook has ties to the opium trade decades ago and is where Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos are separated by the joining of the Mekong and Ruak Rivers.
The Black House (Baan Dam) is next on the itinerary and is the visual opposite of the heavenly White Temple. Its bizarre-looking buildings are decorated with heavy wood, dark metal, and animal skins and bones. Inside are exhibits of exotic animal statues and torture devices. The Black House is fascinating but might be upsetting for some visitors.
Next is a visit to the two very distinct Northern Thai hill tribe villages, the Akha and the Long Neck Karen. The Akha is famous for its women’s silver-adorned headpieces and the Long Neck Karen is best known for the brass rings worn around the women’s necks giving them the appearance of a long neck. Both tribes produce handmade crafts which visitors can buy as keepsake items.
The final stop on the trip is the stunning Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten Temple). The roof, siding, ceiling, and decorative statues are made from a stunning royal blue. At the end of the tour, rest and enjoy a cool ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai.
This Tour Includes
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via air-conditioned van with driver
- Thai buffet lunch
- All entrance fees
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (optional)
- Add-ons to this tour are also available. Enjoy a one-hour riverboat tour along the Mekong River to the market on Don Sao Island, Laos. Be sure to bring your passport. The trip costs an additional 330 baht per person (300 baht per person for the boat ride and 30 baht per person for the entrance fee into Laos). Please speak with your tour guide about arranging this extra trip.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
- This tour is also available as a private tour. Please contact us for our special pricing.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.