Chiang Rai – White Temple, Black House, Blue Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle
- Location: Chiang Rai Province
- Highlights: White Temple, Blue Temple, Black House, Hill Tribe Villages, Golden Triangle
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small group tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
This extended full-day tour takes you to the best sites in Chiang Rai, a neighboring city north of Chiang Mai. Enjoy a scenic drive through the Northern Thai mountains and jungle-covered valleys and visit the area’s most stunning and culturally rich places. Highlights include the famous White Temple (Wat Rong Khun) and the beautiful Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten Temple). Explore the bizarre Black House (Baan Dam), Akha and Long Neck Karen hill tribe villages, and a beautiful overlook point at the infamous Golden Triangle.
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 7 AM to 7:15 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 7:20 AM to 7:35 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 9 AM : Take a short break at a natural hot spring (approx. 20 minutes)
- 11 AM : Explore the White Temple in Chiang Rai (approx. 45 minutes)
- 12 PM : Eat lunch at a Thai restaurant (approx. 45 minutes)
- 1:15 PM : Walk through the many buildings of the Black House compound (approx. 40 minutes)
- 3 PM : Visit the Golden Triangle viewpoint overlooking the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (approx. 30 minutes)
- *Optional Tour : Take a boat down the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island market (approx. 1 hour)
- 5 PM : Chat with the Akha and Long Neck hill tribe villagers (approx. 40 minutes)
- 6:15 PM : Visit the Blue Temple (approx. 30 minutes)
- 6:45 PM : Depart from Chiang Rai, stop at a gas station along the way
- 10:30 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: For additional information about the optional riverboat tour, read the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
About the White Temple, Black House, Blue Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle Tour
Your tour begins with an early morning pick up by your English speaking Thai guide. Sit back and relax while you drive through the countryside of Northern Thailand and enjoy a short break at a local sulfur hot spring. Stretch your legs, buy snacks and coffee, and use the restroom before continuing with the tour.
The tour’s first major stop is the breathtakingly beautiful White Temple. It’s one of the most famous structures in Thailand and is recognized for its all-white buildings decorated with small sparkling mirrors. The manicured grounds are home to an all-white koi fish pond, unusual art, stunning sculptures, and the self-proclaimed ‘most beautiful bathrooms in the world’.
After exploring the various buildings and artwork of the White Temple, enjoy lunch at a Thai restaurant and then continue to the Golden Triangle. This infamous overlook has ties to the opium trade decades ago and is where Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos are separated by the joining of the Mekong and Ruak Rivers.
The Black House (Baan Dam) is next on the itinerary and is the visual opposite of the heavenly White Temple. Its bizarre-looking buildings are decorated with heavy wood, dark metal, and animal skins and bones. Inside are exhibits of exotic animal statues and torture devices. The Black House is fascinating but might be upsetting for some visitors.
Next is a visit to the two very distinct Northern Thai hill tribe villages, the Akha and the Long Neck Karen. The Akha is famous for its women’s silver-adorned headpieces and the Long Neck Karen is best known for the brass rings worn around the women’s necks giving them the appearance of a long neck. Both tribes produce handmade crafts which visitors can buy as keepsake items.
The final stop on the trip is the stunning Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten Temple). The roof, siding, ceiling, and decorative statues are made from a stunning royal blue. At the end of the tour, rest and enjoy a cool ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via air-conditioned van with driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- Thai lunch
- All entrance fees
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (optional)
- Add-ons to this tour are also available. Enjoy a one-hour riverboat tour along the Mekong River to the market on Don Sao Island, Laos. Be sure to bring your passport. The trip costs an additional 330 baht per person (300 baht per person for the boat ride and 30 baht per person for the entrance fee into Laos). Please speak with your tour guide about arranging this extra trip.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.