1 Day Tuk-Tuk Adventure & Elephant
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
This one-day adventure combines some of the most unique activities that Thailand offers. Not only will you experience the thrill of driving your own tuk-tuk (Thailand’s iconic motorized rickshaw), this tour includes feeding and bathing elephants as well as floating down a peaceful river on a tradition bamboo raft. Even if you’d rather let someone else do the driving or you can’t drive a tuk-tuk (because you aren’t 18 years old or don’t have a driving license), you’re still welcomed to join in on the fun.
Please see our note about driving limitations in the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Pick-up will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City or Night Bazaar areas. Pick-up will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 kilometers outside of the Old City. This tour is available daily.
- 9:30 AM
- Arrive at the tuk-tuk base camp
- 10 AM
- Learn how to steer, drive, and shift gears in a tuk-tuk
- 10:30 AM
- Drive your very own tuk-tuk through the Thai countryside
- 11:30 AM
- Arrive at the elephant home and learn about the history of the elephants
- 12 PM
- Meet the mahouts (elephants trainers) and feed the elephants
- 12:30 PM
- Have a simple but hearty Thai lunch
- 1 PM
- Walk with the elephants to the river where you’ll give them a bath
- 3 PM
- Float down the peaceful river on a traditional bamboo raft
- 4 PM
- Hop into your tuk-tuk and drive back to the base camp
- 4:45 PM
- Transfer to a minivan and depart Mae Wang
- 6 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time at each activity depending on the traffic, weather, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pick-up and drop-off times are final.
About the 1 Day Tuk-tuk Adventure Tour
A tuk-tuk is a three-wheeled taxi that’s named after the unique sound its engine makes. Because of its novelty, riding in this motorized rickshaw is often on visitors’ must-do lists when they visit Thailand. Why not make your trip to Thailand more special and drive a tuk-tuk, not just ride in one!
Your tour begins with a scenic ride through the Thai countryside to a tuk-tuk base camp in Mae Wang. Once you’ve arrived, you’ll meet your English-speaking tour guide and learn how to drive a tuk-tuk by yourself.
After you’ve learned the basics of steering, stopping, and shifting gears, join a convoy of tuk-tuks and ride into the countryside. You’ll pass by fascinating temples and tropical forests as you make your way to an elephant home.
Once you’ve arrived at the elephant home, your guide will teach you about the history of the elephants and how they are often rescued from illegal logging and entertainment businesses. After this mini-lesson, join the mahouts (elephant trainers) and meet the elephants in their jungle home. Get up close to them, pet them, and feed the elephants their favorite snacks of tropical fruit.
After taking a break and enjoying a Thai lunch in the jungle, walk the elephants through the forest and down to the nearby river. Grab a bucket and a scrub brush and help the mahouts give the elephants a bath. Don’t forget to bring your camera!
Next on the agenda is a peaceful river ride. Hop on a traditional bamboo raft and slowly float down a shallow, slow-moving part of the Mae Wang River. From this unique perspective on the water, you’ll see a different side of the jungle and observe plants and wildlife that you might not have seen on the ride up.
The day wraps up with driving your tuk-tuk back to the base camp before hopping in an air-conditioned minivan and resting on the ride back to Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
This Tour Includes
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via air-conditioned van with driver
- Lunch of local Thai food
- Drinking water
- Food for elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can get wet
- A bathing suit (worn under your clothing), a towel, and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Drinking water
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Money for small purchases
- Camera (optional)
- This tour is suitable for people who are 18 years or older, have a driving license, and are able to drive a manual vehicle. However, if you are not at least 18 years old or you do not want to drive your own tuk-tuk, you can still join the tour.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.