How to get from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
Book Flights, Trains, Buses, Ferries & Transfers in Thailand
By Train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
There are several daily trains going to Chiang Mai by Rail Express trains from Hualamphong Railway Station in Bangkok. The train journey takes about 12 – 15 hours depending on the departure time. Please visit www.railway.co.th to see the time table. You must reserve sleeper trains in advance.
By Air from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
All major airlines have daily flights to Chiang Mai from Bangkok which take about one hour. From Chiang Mai, there are a lot of flights to major cities in Thailand which it make it very convenient to go south after your beautiful visit to Chiang Mai or even to other countries.
- Air Asia – www.airasia.com
- Thai Airways International – www.thaiairways.com
- Bangkok Airways – www.bangkokair.com
- Nok Air – www.nokair.co.th
By Bus from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
There are many types of buses that depart from Bangkok Mo Chit Bus Terminal. In addition to the government buses, there are many different private bus companies which offer express air-conditioned and local non air-conditioned buses. The bus ride takes about nine to ten hours. Don’t forget to bring an extra layer of clothes for the air-conditioned buses which can get quite cold.
- Transport Co. Ltd. – Tel. 0 2936 2852-66 www.transport.co.th Chiang Mai Office Tel. 0 5324 1449
- Nakornchai Air – Tel. 0 2936 3355 www.nca.co.th
- Tanjit Tour – Tel. 0 2936 3210
- New Wiriyayanyontra Tour – Tel. 0 2936 2207
- Sombat Tour – Tel. 0 2936 2495-99
- Sahacharn Tour – Tel. 0 2936 2762
- Siam First – Tel. 0 2954 3601-7
- Chiang Mai Arcade Bus station – Tel. 0 5324 2664
By Car from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
If you are going by car to Chiang Mai, take Highway No. 1 which is also known as Phahonyothin Road, then turn to Highway No. 32 which is also known as Asia Highway. You will pass the following cities: Ayutthaya, Angthong, Nakhon Sawan. Next take Highway No. 11. You will pass the following cities: Tak, Lampang, Lamphun before arriving at Chiang Mai. The distance from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is about 700 kilometers which will take about eight to nine hours.