Kanta Elephant Sanctuary – Full Day Program
- Mae Taeng
- Learn About Elephants, Prepare Food and Feed Elephants, Bathe Elephants, Walk with Elephants
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- English-speaking tour guide
- Join in Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
At the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, you’ll gain a special understanding of the history and behavior of Thailand’s gentle giants. Spend a full day with elephants, getting up close with them and learning about their happy, healthy lives in their natural habitat at the sanctuary. Enjoy feeding them fruit and herbal treats, walking with them in the forest, and bathing them in a cool river.
Pick-up will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City or Night Bazaar areas. Pick-up will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 kilometers outside of the Old City. This tour is available daily.
- 10 AM
- Arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary and change into traditional elephant training clothing
- 10:30 AM
- Prepare fruits for the elephants and then play with them in their natural habitat
- 12 PM
- Enjoy a lunch of local Thai food and fresh tropical fruit
- 1 PM
- Learn about the elephant’s history, health care, and behavior while preparing herbs cooked with sticky rice to feed them
- 2 PM
- Enjoy more time roaming with the elephants and bathing them in the river
- 3 PM
- Sip on tea and coffee refreshments
- 4 PM
- Leave the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary
- 5 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time with the elephants depending on the traffic, weather, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pick-up and drop-off times are final.
About the Full Day Kanta Elephant Sanctuary Tour
The tour begins with a morning drive through rolling hills, jungles, and local farming areas north of Chiang Mai. Once you arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, you’ll be able to spend as much time as possible feeding, playing, and walking with the elephants.
Upon arrival at the sanctuary, you’ll be provided with traditional mahout (elephant trainer) clothing to change into and prepare a feast of cut fruit for the elephants. Afterward, meet the elephants and win them over with their favorite treats, learning each one by name and personality.
After a tasty lunch of traditional Thai food and fresh fruit, you’ll learn how to make a medicinal snack for the elephants made from special herbs and sticky rice. Your guide will also teach you about the elephants’ history, about their health and anatomy, and their natural behavior.
In the afternoon, you’ll have plenty of time to spend with the elephants such as playing in the dirt with them and covering them with mud to protect their skin from the sun and bugs. Then enjoy a refreshing dip in the river and bathe the elephants in the cool water and watch them swim around. Enjoy the moment and take this opportunity to take a lot of photos with them.
After saying goodbye to the elephants, you’ll end the tour with some refreshments and the opportunity to change into dry clothing. The tour wraps up with a comfortable ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
This Tour Includes
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via air-conditioned van with driver
- Lunch of local Thai food and seasonal fruits
- Drinking water, tea, and coffee
- Food for elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can get wet
- A bathing suit (worn under your clothing), a towel, and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 30 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.
You may also like…
Chiang Rai – White Temple, Black House, Blue Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle฿1,350 View Tour
Doi Inthanon National Park Tour – Day Trip฿1,150 View Tour
Chiang Rai – White Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle฿1,300 View Tour
1 Day Trek Waterfalls Trail in Doi Inthanon Area฿2,000 View Tour