Kanta Elephant Sanctuary – Full Day Program
- Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai Province
- Highlights: Learn About Elephants, Prepare Food and Feed Elephants, Bathe Elephants, Walk with Elephants
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small group tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
At the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, you’ll gain a special understanding of the history and behavior of Thailand’s gentle giants. Spend a full day with elephants, getting up close with them and learning about their happy, healthy lives in their natural habitat at the sanctuary. Enjoy feeding them fruit and herbal treats, walking with them in the forest, and bathing them in a cool river.
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 8 AM to 8:30 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 8:30 AM to 8:45 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 10 AM : Arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary and change into traditional elephant training clothing
- 10:30 AM : Prepare fruits for the elephants and then play with them in their natural habitat
- 12 PM : Enjoy a lunch of local Thai food and fresh tropical fruit
- 1 PM : Learn about the elephant’s history, health care, and behavior while preparing herbs cooked with sticky rice to feed them
- 2 PM : Enjoy more time roaming with the elephants and bathing them in the river
- 3 PM : Sip on tea and coffee refreshments
- 4 PM : Leave the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary
- 5 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time with the elephants depending on the traffic and weather. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary.
About the Full Day Kanta Elephant Sanctuary Tour
The tour begins with a morning drive through rolling hills, jungles, and local farming areas north of Chiang Mai. Once you arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, you’ll be able to spend as much time as possible feeding, playing, and walking with the elephants.
Upon arrival at the sanctuary, you’ll be provided with traditional mahout (elephant trainer) clothing to change into and prepare a feast of cut fruit for the elephants. Afterward, meet the elephants and win them over with their favorite treats, learning each one by name and personality.
After a tasty lunch of traditional Thai food and fresh fruit, you’ll learn how to make a medicinal snack for the elephants made from special herbs and sticky rice. Your guide will also teach you about the elephants’ history, about their health and anatomy, and their natural behavior.
In the afternoon, you’ll have plenty of time to spend with the elephants such as playing in the dirt with them and covering them with mud to protect their skin from the sun and bugs. Then enjoy a refreshing dip in the river and bathe the elephants in the cool water and watch them swim around. Enjoy the moment and take this opportunity to take a lot of photos with them.
After saying goodbye to the elephants, you’ll end the tour with some refreshments and the opportunity to change into dry clothing. The tour wraps up with a comfortable ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- Lunch of local Thai food and seasonal fruits
- Drinking water, tea, and coffee
- Food for elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can get wet
- A bathing suit (worn under your clothing), a towel, and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.