Kanta Elephant Sanctuary – Half Day Program
- Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai Province
- Highlights: Learn About Elephants, Prepare Food and Feed Elephants, Bathe Elephants, Walk with Elephants
- Free pick-up/drop-off within 3 km of the city center.
- English-speaking local tour guide.
- Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
- • Adult : ฿500
- • Child (Under 9 years old) : ฿400
This half day tour is perfect if you aren’t able to visit the elephants for an entire day but still want to see them during your trip to Chiang Mai. Learn about Thailand’s majestic animals at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary and then spend the afternoon feeding them, walking with them, and bathing them in a local river – with no riding!
Half Day Morning
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 6:30 AM to 7 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 7 AM to 7:15 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 8:30 AM : Arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary and learn about the elephants before changing into traditional elephant training clothing and preparing snacks for them
- 9 AM : Meet the elephants and then feed, interact, and play with them in the natural environment
- 10 AM : Enjoy roaming with the elephants and followed by a bath in the river
- 11 AM : Say goodbye to the elephants and then enjoy drinks and light snacks before leaving the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary
- 12 PM : Return to your accommodation
Half Day Afternoon
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 1 PM to 1:15 PM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 1:15 PM to 1:30 PM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 2:30 PM : Arrive at the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, change into traditional elephant training clothing, prepare snacks for the elephants, and learn about their history in Thailand
- 3 PM : Meet the elephants! Feed, interact, and play with them in the natural environment
- 4 PM : Enjoy roaming with the elephants and bathing them in the river
- 5 PM : Say goodbye to the elephants, enjoy drinks and light snacks, and then leave the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary
- 6 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: At the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary, you will be allowed to spend as much time with the elephants depending on the traffic and weather. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary.
About the Half Day Kanta Elephant Sanctuary Tour
This half day tour begins with a ride from your hotel through the scenic countryside of Chiang Mai to the Kanta Elephant Sanctuary. Upon arrival you’ll be greeted by your English-speaking guide, who will tell you about the purpose and history of the sanctuary. Then you’ll be given a traditional mahout (elephant trainer) outfit to change into and asked to prepared bananas and sugarcane before meeting the elephants for the first time.
Once you’re ready, your guide will lead you through the sanctuary to where the elephants are free-roaming. You’ll meet them one by one and learn about their individual stories and their history before the sanctuary became their home. Take your time touching, feeding, and playing with the elephants in their natural habitat. This is a great time to take photos, so don’t forget to bring a camera!
Once you’ve met all of the elephants, now it’s time to get dirty! Elephants love taking a mud bath because it helps to protect their skin from bug bites and sunburn. Help them by slathering smooth mud all over their bodies. Afterward, walk with the elephants down to a river and join them for a refreshing dip in the cool water. Don’t be afraid to get wet! Grab a scrub brush and bathe them and then watch as they play and wade in the water.
When the elephants are clean, take some final photos with these gentle giants and then say goodbye. Change into clean, dry clothes and then enjoy an afternoon snack of fresh tropical fruit and tea or coffee before relaxing on the ride back to Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- Snack and seasonal fruits (no meal)
- Drinking water, tea, and coffee
- Food to feed the elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can get wet
- A bathing suit (worn under your clothing), a towel, and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 25 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Before booking, please check availability.
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.