Happy Elephant Home
- Location: Mae Taeng , Chiang Mai Province
- Highlights: Learn about elephants and sanctuary, Meet and feed elephants, Mud Bath, Elephants bathe in the river
- Free pick-up/drop-off within 3 km of the city center.
- English-speaking local tour guide.
- Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
- • Adult (Full day) : ฿800
- • Adult (Half day morning) : ฿600
- • Adult (Half day afternoon) : ฿600
- • Children 4-7 years old (Full day) : ฿200
- • Children 4-7 years old (Half day morning) : ฿200
- • Children 4-7 years old (Half day afternoon) : ฿200
Spending a day with elephants in Thailand is one of the most incredible experiences you’ll ever have. Meet the beautiful elephants at Happy Elephant Home in Mae Taeng District in Chiang Mai by observing, feeding and bathing them in their natural jungle habitat. No one is allowed to ride the elephants. The visit can be either half day (morning or afternoon) or full day. Meeting these gentle elephants will be a wonderful experience.
If you’re interested in the half-day Happy Elephant Home
Half Day Morning and Afternoon Trip
- Pickup Time
- Morning trip: 7 AM to 7:30 AM : Meet in your hotel lobby
- Afternoon trip : 2 PM: Meet in your hotel lobby
- Take a one-hour drive to the Happy Elephant Home.
- Get a glimpse of the Karen way of life by changing into traditional clothing and learning about Thai elephants.
- Experience getting to know the elephants and preparing food for them.
- Walk along the river with the elephants and watch them bathe and play in the water.
- It’s time to say goodbye to the elephants.
- Drop Off
- Morning trip : 1:30 PM : Return to your accommodation
- Afternoon trip : 7 PM : Return to your accommodation
If you are interested in the full day Happy Elephant Home tour
Full day tour from 8 AM to 4:30 PM
- 8 AM to 8:30AM : Meet in your hotel lobby
- Dress in traditional Karen attire and meet the Thai elephants.
Meet the elephants, prepare food for them and spend time with them.
- Take a mud bath with the elephants.
- Discover traditional Thai cuisine and prepare your own lunch.
- Walk with the elephants along the river and watch them bathe and play.
- It’s time to say goodbye to the elephants.
- 4:30 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: The times above are approximate and may vary depending on the weather, traffic, and the abilities of other group members. Therefore, there is no formal schedule aside from pick-up and drop-off times.
About the Happy Elephant Home Visit
It’s a beautiful small sanctuary in Mae Taeng district in northern Thailand, an hour’s drive from Chiang Mai. Two elephants were rescued from an unethical tourism industry and are now spending the rest of their lives in freedom.
All visitors have the opportunity to have an ethical and sustainable elephant experience.
When you arrive, you’ll be greeted by charming, smiling staff who’ll guide you to the elephant village, a happy place where you can interact with the elephants. Your guide will give you information about the elephants that live there, you’ll learn their names and the history of each one. After that, you’ll put on a traditional Karen clothes, because it’s likely that you’ll get wet or even muddy, and you’ll prepare food for the elephants and feed them with your hands.
And now comes the moment you’ve been waiting for: We meet the elephants! After introductions, we go down to the river, feed them snacks, make friends and get to know each other. Then we bathe the elephants in the natural river water, they love that. Take your time to watch the elephants bathe and play.
During the full day visit, enjoy a mud bath with the elephants and experience authentic Thai food by making your own lunch and learning how to prepare it.
When the trip is over, you put on clean clothes and say goodbye to the elephants. You can relax as you return to your hotel in Chiang Mai.
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via pickup truck with driver
- Drinking water
- Thai lunch for the Full Day Visit
- Food for elephants
- Admission fees
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals that can get wet
- Swimming suit (worn under your clothes)
- A towel and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (optional)
- Free for children 3 years old and under.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.