Elephant Rescue Park – Full Day
- Mae Taeng
- Elephant POOPOOPAPER Park, Elephant history and mahout’s life, Special herbal medicine, Feed elephants, Bathe and swim with elephants
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- English-speaking tour guide
- Join in Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
Experience elephants in a loving and secure environment in the tropical hills of Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai. This full-day tour begins with a visit to the famous Elephant POOPOOPAPER Park and a Thai market where you can buy treats for the elephants. Once you arrive at the rescue center, you will learn about the history of elephants, make medicine for them, prepare them snacks, and play with them in the local river.
Pick-up will be between 8 AM and 8:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City or Night Bazaar. Pickup will be between 8:30 AM and 8:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 kilometers outside of the Old City. This tour is available daily.
- 10 AM
- Visit the Elephant POOPOOPAPER Park and learn how paper is made from recycled elephant dung
- 10:30 AM
- Make a short stop at the fresh market to buy additional food for the elephants
- 11 AM
- Arrive at the Elephant Rescue Park and change into beautiful Mahout uniforms
- 11:30 AM
- Have an introductory discussion on elephant history and a mahout’s life
- 12 PM
- Learn how to make a special herbal medicine
- 12:30 PM
- Cut sugarcane at a farm and then ride in a truck to the elephants and get to know them better by feeding them fruit, sugarcane, fruit, and the herbal medicine
- 1 PM
- Enjoy a delicious home-cooked Thai lunch
- 2 PM
- Feed the elephants fruit and walk with them in the jungle to beautiful viewpoints
- 3 PM
- Bathe, brush and have fun splashing around with the elephants in their very own natural swimming pool
- 4 PM
- Say farewell to the elephants and the mahouts and then change into dry clothes and have some snacks and refreshments before leaving the park
- 4:30 PM
- Depart from the Elephant Rescue Park
- 5:30 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time as possible with the elephants depending on the traffic, weather, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary. Only the pick-up and drop-off times are final.
About the Amazing Full Day Program At Elephant Rescue Park
This full-day elephant tour begins with a scenic drive through the countryside north of Chiang Mai City. If you visit between August and January, the rice fields and forests are lush and green. During the months between February and May, the weather is dry and the surrounding landscape is golden.
Your first stop is the famous Elephant POOPOOPAPER Park. This eco-friendly outdoor museum will teach you how to make paper products from elephant poop fibers. Afterward, visit a local Thai market to buy fresh fruit such as watermelon and pineapples for the elephants. Although the park prepares bananas, sugarcane, and pumpkin, you might want to give something extra to the elephants.
Once you arrive at the Elephant Rescue Park, you’ll be given a special mahout outfit to change into, which is special clothes that an elephant trainer wears. Afterward, you’ll learn about the long and deeply traditional relationship that Thai people have with elephants. You’ll also learn about that park and that it’s a newly established sanctuary that provides a safe and secure home for elephants that have been rescued from circus shows, tourism and logging industries, and elephant riding.
After your introductory lesson, now it’s time to meet the elephants! To win them over, you’ll harvest some sugarcane and learn how to make herbal vitamin balls. Meet them one by one and feed them before enjoying your own satisfying lunch of Thai food.
After a brief rest, the tour continues with a scenic walk through the jungle beside the elephants. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to take photos at a beautiful viewpoint and of the elephants playing in a nearby mud pit. Afterward, cool off with a dip in the a natural pool and scrub the elephants clean in the cool water.
The tour wraps up by saying ‘goodbye’ to the elephants and changing into dry clothing before relaxing on the ride back to your hotel in Chiang Mai. There are no additional stops or ‘add-ons’ during this tour.
This Tour Includes
- Knowledgeable and friendly English-speaking guide
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via air-conditioned minivan or car with driver
- Lunch of local Thai food
- Drinking water
- Mahout uniform, bamboo hat, and rubber boots to protect your feet from sticks, thorny plants, and sharp stones during the tour
- Food for elephants
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes or sandals
- A pair of socks (to use with the rubber boots)
- A towel and a change of clothing
- A raincoat (during the rainy season of June, July, and August)
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Any prescription medication you require such as an asthma inhaler or allergy medicine
- Camera (optional)
- This tour has several physical outdoor activities. We recommend that families with young children or people who do not like hot weather sign up for the half day morning Elephant Rescue Park tour.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 30 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.