Chiang Rai : White Temple, Black House and Blue Temple
- Location: Chiang Rai Province.
- The tour begins and ends in Chiang Mai.
- Highlights: White Temple, Black House , Blue Temple
- Free pick-up/drop-off within 3 km of the city center.
- English-speaking local tour guide.
- Small Group Tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
- • Adult : ฿450
- • Child (age 2-6) : ฿200
This full-day tour takes you through forested hills and beautiful landscapes to three stunning yet incredibly different sites: Chiang Rai’s White Temple (Wat Rong Khun), the Black House (Baan Dam), and the Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten). The White Temple looks like it came from heaven, while the Black House is mysterious and dark. The Blue Temple, on the other hand, is a fascinating sight to behold with its intricate blue and gold decorations. These are three fascinating sites that can be easily reached in a day trip from Chiang Mai”
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 7 AM to 7:15 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 7:20 AM to 7:35 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 9 AM : Relax with a short break at a natural hot spring (approx. 20 minutes)
- 11 AM : Explore the White Temple in Chiang Rai (approx. 45 minutes)
- 12 PM : Enjoy lunch at the White Temple’s Thai restaurant
- 1:20 PM : Wander through the many buildings of the Black House (approx. 45 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – Long Neck Karen hill tribe village (approx. 45 minutes)
- 3 PM : Visit the Blue Temple (approx. 30 minutes)
- 3:30 PM : Depart from Chiang Rai
- 7 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note : Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
About the White Temple, Black House and Blue Temple
Begin the tour in the morning with a drive through Northern Thailand’s scenic countryside. Roughly halfway to Chiang Rai you’ll take a short coffee break and stretch your legs at a local natural sulfur spring. Here you may see vendors selling eggs to visitors. That’s because the hot spring is hot enough to boil the eggs!
The first major stop is to the dazzling White Temple which is locally known as Wat Rong Khun, which is arguably one of the most recognizable structures in all of Thailand. It’s the ongoing project of a local Thai artist and is designed to reflect principles of Buddhism and enlightenment. The White Temple is composed of nine different buildings that are entirely white and decorated with intricate carvings and sculptures. It is also inlaid with small pieces of glass and mirrors that glint and shimmer in the sunshine, making it particularly stunning.
After exploring the grounds of the White Temple, take a break for lunch at the White Temple’s onsite Thai restaurant. Afterward, the tour will continue to the Black House, just a few kilometers away.
The Black House, which is locally known as Baan Dam, is a collection of buildings that are strikingly different from the White Temple. The buildings are decorated in a ‘dark art’ style complete with heavy wood and metal accents. Inside you will find displays of skeletons and animal skins as well as a dungeon with torture-like devices. There are also remnants of animals such as crocodiles, bears, and elephants throughout the property. Some people may find it upsetting but many find the Black House fascinating.
The next stop is the Blue Temple, whose bright blue exterior, decorated with intricate golden details, immediately catches your attention. Upon entering the temple, you are greeted by a magnificent central Buddha statue surrounded by smaller Buddha images. Inside the temple are beautiful murals depicting scenes from Buddhist mythology and teachings. The captivating artwork creates a tranquil place of reflection and appreciation.
Embark on this captivating journey through the White Temple, the Black House, and the Blue Temple, and immerse yourself in the mesmerizing beauty and startling contrasts of Chiang Rai’s architectural wonders.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- All entrance fees
- Thai lunch
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (Optional)
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.