Chiang Rai – White Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle
- Location: Chiang Rai Province
- Highlights: White Temple, Golden Triangle, Mae Sai, Akha and Karen Hill Tribes
- English-speaking tour guide
- Small group tour
- Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance
This full day Chiang Rai tour takes visitors north along picturesque routes through the countryside to the Golden Triangle of Thailand. Highlights of this tour also include a visit to the White Temple in Chiang Rai, a market at the Burmese-Thai border, and the Akha and Long Neck hill tribes.
- Meet in your hotel lobby
- 7 AM to 7:15 AM : the area of the old city center and Night Bazaar
- 7:20 AM to 7:35 AM : within 3 km outside the old city
- 9 AM : Take a short break at a natural hot spring (approx. 20 minutes)
- 11 AM : Explore the White Temple in Chiang Rai (approx. 45 minutes)
- 1 PM : Eat lunch at a restaurant near the Golden Triangle (approx. 45 minutes)
- 2 PM : Enjoy the Golden Triangle viewpoint at the border of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (approx. 30 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – River boat tour of the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island (approx. 1 hour)
- 4 PM : Shop in Mae Sai at the Burmese-Thai border market (approx. 40 minutes)
- 5:30 PM : Chat with the Akha and Long Neck villages (approx. 40 minutes)
- 6:30 PM : Depart from Chiang Rai; stop at a gas station along the way
- 10 PM : Return to your accommodation
Please Note: For additional information about the optional riverboat tour, read the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Your guide will make sure that you spend as much time as possible at each activity. However, the schedule may vary depending on the weather and traffic.
About the White Temple, Long Neck Karen, And Golden Triangle Tour
This tour begins early in the morning driving through Northern Thailand’s countryside. There will be a short stop at a local hot spring and the opportunity to buy coffee and snacks before continuing to one of the most recognizable structures in Thailand, the White Temple. This dazzling structure is the ongoing work of a local artist that reflects principles of Buddhism and enlightenment.
Next you will continue to the Golden Triangle, a region of Thailand that was once infamously known for its opium trade. It is also home to an overlook where the Mekong and Krok Rivers join and create the spot where the three countries of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet. Take a walk around the viewpoint and explore a small market nearby before resting and having lunch.
After you’ve eaten, the tour will continue with a visit to Mae Sai, a small trading town on the Thailand-Myanmar border crossing. This is also the most northern city of Thailand. The last stop on the trip is a visit to two incredibly but strikingly different Northern Thai hill tribe villages: the Akha and the Long Neck Karen. Both tribes wear unique outfits and produce handmade crafts and which visitors can buy as keepsake items. Afterwards, relax on the way back to Chiang Mai. The van will make a stop at a gas station in the Mae Suai district around the midway point.
- A free pick-up and drop-off service is included within 3 kilometers of the city center
- If you’re out of town, contact us to arrange a meeting point
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and a driver
- English-speaking tour guide
- All entrance fees
- Thai buffet lunch
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (Optional)
- Add-ons to this tour are also available. Enjoy a one-hour boat trip along the Mekong River to the Laotian market on Don Sao Island for an additional 330 baht per person (the boat ride costs 300 baht per person and the entrance fee into Laos is 30 baht per person). Be sure to bring your passport. Please speak with your tour guide about arranging this extra trip.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a small group tour, approximately 9 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.