Chiang Rai – White Temple, Long Neck Karen and Golden Triangle
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What To Bring
- Additional Informations
This full day Chiang Rai tour takes visitors north along picturesque routes through the countryside to the Golden Triangle of Thailand. Highlights of this tour also include a visit to the White Temple in Chiang Rai, a market at the Burmese-Thai border, and the Akha and Long Neck hill tribes.
Pickup will be between 7 AM and 7:30 AM if your hotel is in the Old City and Night Bazaar area. Pickup will be between 7:30 AM and 7:45 AM if your hotel is within 3 km outside of the Old City.
- 9 AM
- Take a short break at a natural hot spring (approximately 20 minutes)
- 11 AM
- Explore the White Temple in Chiang Rai (approximately 45 minutes)
- 1 PM
- Eat lunch at a restaurant near the Golden Triangle (approximately 45 minutes)
- 2 PM
- Enjoy the Golden Triangle viewpoint at the border of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (approximately 30 minutes)
- *Optional Tour – River boat tour of the Mekong River to the Don Sao Island (approximately 1 hour)
- 4 PM
- Shop in Mae Sai at the Burmese-Thai border market (approximately 40 minutes)
- 5:30 PM
- Chat with the Akha and Long Neck villages (approximately 40 minutes)
- 6:30 PM
- Depart from Chiang Rai; stop at a gas station along the way
- 10 PM
- Return to your hotel in Chiang Mai
There is an optional river boat tour to the Don Sao Island in Laos offered in the Golden Triangle. Tell your tour guide if you are interested. Guests who do not take the boat trip can take pictures and relax or visit the House of Opium nearby for 50 baht per person. For more details, refer to the ‘Additional Information’ section below.
Please Note: You will be allowed to spend as much time as possible at each event depending on the weather, traffic, and other visitors. Therefore, the times of the activities in the above schedule may vary.
About the White Temple, Long Neck Karen, And Golden Triangle Tour
This tour begins early in the morning driving through Northern Thailand’s countryside. There will be a short stop at a local hot spring and the opportunity to buy coffee and snacks before continuing to one of the most recognizable structures in Thailand, the White Temple. This dazzling structure is the ongoing work of a local artist that reflects principles of Buddhism and enlightenment.
Next you will continue to the Golden Triangle, a region of Thailand that was once infamously known for its opium trade. It is also home to an overlook where the Mekong and Krok Rivers join and create the spot where the three countries of Thailand, Myanmar, and Laos meet. Take a walk around the viewpoint and explore a small market nearby before resting and having lunch.
After you’ve eaten, the tour will continue with a visit to Mae Sai, a small trading town on the Thailand-Myanmar border crossing. This is also the most northern city of Thailand. The last stop on the trip is a visit to two incredibly but strikingly different Northern Thai hill tribe villages: the Akha and the Long Neck Karen. Both tribes wear unique outfits and produce handmade crafts and which visitors can buy as keepsake items. Afterwards, relax on the way back to Chiang Mai. The van will make a stop at a gas station in the Mae Suai district around the midway point.
This Tour Includes
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or guesthouse
- Transportation via minibus with air conditioning and driver
- All entrance fees
- Thai buffet lunch
- One small bottle of water
- Travel accident insurance
What To Bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Camera (Optional)
- Add-ons to this tour are also available. Enjoy a one-hour boat trip along the Mekong River to the Laotian market on Don Sao Island for an additional 330 baht per person (the boat ride costs 300 baht per person and the entrance fee into Laos is 30 baht per person). Be sure to bring your passport. Please speak with your tour guide about arranging this extra trip.
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.