Chiang Dao Jungle River Kayaking
- What we’ll do
- This Tour Includes
- What to Bring
- Experience Level
- Safety Policy
- Additional Informations
When the cool or hot dry season begins, the receding water level will make the right conditions for a journey deep into the verdant jungle and navigate through the lush greenery and dense growth of trees along the waterways of the Ping River, just north of Chiang Mai. The shady bamboo jungle and temperate forests offer relaxing and wonderful scenery along the winding creek-like river. While kayaking, enjoy the undisturbed environment of the Ping River which is home to various kinds of birds and river fish. In the dry season, this jungle is the best choice for a safe entrance.
**Please note: There is National Park fee of 150 baht per person, please pay by cash on the venue.
The Chiang Dao district which is 60 to 90km. north of Chiang Mai, is considered one of the best locations for kayaking. The most important factors to plan a kayaking excursion are the water flow and weather conditions. In rainy season, the condition of the river is usually varied but in the cool and dry season, the waterways open up so that you can easily kayak deeper into the jungle. The powerful Ping River offers creek-like conditions with kayaking under a verdant canopy. There are many challenging routes to select from the undisturbed nature of the jungle. However, in rainy season, kayakers can also enjoy a rapid flow journey through open landscapes with breathtaking scenic views.
- Rainy Season (July- October)
- The open river with clear mountain views and swift waters
- Cool Season (November- February)
- The best time to enter the Northern Jungles as water levels recede
- Dry Season (March- June)
- The best time to access to unspoiled hidden waterways through jungles and forests following the Northern Mae Ping River
Duration: 8 AM – 5:30 PM
The kayaking trips take about 1 to 1.5 hours to drive north of Chiang Mai and kayaking downstream south through the Chiang Dao jungle.
What we’ll do
River grade: Class 1+
Distance/Time: 17km, 4-5 hrs
Motivated beginners are welcome
- Previous kayaking experience helpful
- Lessons in basic river kayaking provided
- Must be in good health
- Kayaks: Highly maneuverable Sit On Top Kayaks
This Tour Includes
- Kayak equipment
- Helmets, life jackets, gloves, shoes
- Kayaks for various levels and water conditions
- Water and snacks
- Lunch *If you have any dietary concerns please let us know at the time of booking
- Pick up and drop off service from your hotel or guesthouse in Chiang Mai
- Travel insurance
What to Bring
- Extra set of clothes for the ride back
- Wear shorts or swimsuit, t-shirt or a lycra when on your kayak
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and shoes (or sneakers or close-fitting sandals)
- Sunscreen and mosquito repellent
- Don’t bring a regular camera unless you have a waterproof bag. It’s best to bring a waterproof camera but also water proof cameras and hero cameras are available upon request, just bring your memory card.
Note: Should you have none of the above, we are ready to equip you at our shop before departure.
When booking the tour, please provide us with your height and level based on your previous kayaking experience:
- Level 1 I have never kayaked before, but I am physically fit.
- Level 2 I have done some kayaking on lakes and the ocean, but never on a river.
- Level 3 I have done some river kayaking or canoeing.
- Level 4 I have done quite a bit of river kayaking but can not do the roll.
- Level 5 I am an expert kayaker and can kayak a class 3+ river.
- Chiang Mai Kayaking provides life jackets, shoes, gloves & helmets
- All kayaking instructions and river navigation will be coached throughout the trips
- If you have any dietary restrictions or allergies, please inform your tour guide. We can serve vegetarian food upon request.
- This is a Join in Group Tour, approximately 12 persons.
- Tour operated by our Tour Operator Partner.
Pick Up and Drop Off
Complimentary pickup and drop-off is included for hotels and guesthouses within a 3-kilometer radius of Chiang Mai Old City. If you are out of town, please make arrangements to meet us in the city at a predetermined meeting point.
Learn more about our Free cancellation - 24 hours in advance.
Book Your Tour
Mininum 2 persons.
Want a Private or
We can customize our tours to your needs just contact us and we’ll provide you with the information you need.